Thursday 15 February 2018

The EV sub-frame is in!

I've removed the ICE sub frame and fitted the EV version!. This is a real land mark as the motor has been sitting in it's chassis for a very long time now waiting for this moment. Today was warm'ish, sunny and home alone so the perfect day to get it done.

Here are some pictures of the old one coming out and the new one going in..

The ICE and EV frames side by side




Some wooden wheels to help move the EV frame around

Wheeling in

There is a lot of space in the back now, plenty of room for some volts.. 


With the weight down on the suspension it's shown the motor plate is too close for the travel so will need a tweak. 



The car was sitting too low with the new chassis, although in place the springs looked the same once I removed and compared them they were quite different. So I've removed the springs from the ICE frame and fitted them, the car now sits at the correct height. So fortwo and roadster springs must be quite different. 









3 comments:

  1. Hi Paul,

    Been following your conversion for some time now! I have taken the first step in my own roadster conversion and purchased one!

    I am thinking of doing the same as yourself with a second subframe, and wondered if you still had the original one and would be interested in selling it on to fellow EV enthusiast?

    Anyways, hope the project is going well (and the design business if I remember correctly?) and hope to hear back from you soon!

    Very early days as of yet but my own blog is at electric roadster.co.uk if you/anyone else is interested.

    Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry my name is Tom and the website is electricroadster.co.uk. Look forward to hearing from you!

      Delete
  2. Hi Tom,
    Great to hear you are doing a roadster conversion too. I really wish I had more time to work on mine and get it finished but I've completely stalled on it again, not only do I have the family taking my time up but I've now embarked on designing and building a prototype electric motorbike as the first step to starting a company with some colleagues. I'm not really into bikes but I was persuaded that building motorbikes will be a lot easier than converting cars.
    I would prefer to hang onto the frame, it's still a rolling chassis with the ICE sitting in it. The fortwo chassis is the same apart from the handbrake connection which is fairly easy to rearrange, I see there is one on ebay with all the running gear etc for £200.
    I had a look at your blog, mine has always suffered from a lack of funds and time but it looks like you are going to do it properly and get some decent power which would be great to see. I have the small 6KWH pack in nor but still need to sort out a charger and a BMS for it.
    As you probably know I've stopped updating this blog and moved to putting videos on youtube.
    My new target is to make it to Fully charged live next year!, good to have a deadline to aim for.
    I look forward to keeping up to date with progress.
    Cheers
    Paul
    paul.crisp@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete