Friday 8 January 2016

Summary

I've always been interested in electric cars, ever since being involved in the Battery Vehicle Society in the 80's racing home made electric cars around various kart and bike tracks for hours, seeing who could go the furthest on 2 car batteries.

Many years have passed since then but more recently I leased a Nissan Leaf through my companies green car scheme for 2 years. Leaf's aren't exactly the best looking cars and living with a car with a range of 70 miles can be frustrating, but the feeling of driving something now which we will all be driving in the future was great. The pull from a standing start, continuous acceleration and lack of maintenance is great, unfortunately some EV's are slow or people drive them slowly, but they don't need to be. I also got to drive a Tesla Model S, without doubt the best car I've ever driven in every way, but unfortunately at cost few can afford.

I bought the Smart Roadster 4 years ago, I love the looks and the fun handling but ever since owning it I've though this car should be electric. So after a lot of thought, a lot of searching for parts and too much time seeing what other people have done, it's time to make a proper start on planning the conversion.

Finding good information on conversions that have been done so far is quite difficult, so I figure I should try and document it properly in case anyone else might be interested. I've never blogged before but I'm assuming this will be the best way to do it.. time will tell. I hope you find it useful and interesting.

4 comments:

  1. I have only just found your blog and YouTube videos. Great work and I fully appreciate you posting all your data. I have owned my Roadster for 12 years, and have loved every moment, but always wanted it to be fully electric. I have been searching for a post such as yours, to aid my conversion. This is amazing work. I live in the UK and would love to meet up at some point and go over or even help...
    Hope to hear from you at some point.
    Thanks again for posting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Thanks for the interest in the blog. I was very unsure how to get started but knew what sort of power I wanted then stumbled across someone selling the AC35 motor and controller so bought it, but then didn't do anything for a while... Young kids and work takes up all my time. I hope to get some time soon to connect some electrics and make the motor run but not sure when. The smart MOT runs out in a month and I won't bother renewing it for now which will mean it will be there to take apart if I get that far. There is a part of me that is will miss the petrol engine but I'm hoping that when 500Amps fire into the motor this will launch it'self really quickly off the mark!.

      Delete
  2. I can understand what you mean about the 70 mile limit, but for me it was a perfect fit. I live on an island that is 20 miles long by 10 miles wide in Florida, and my Nissan Leaf gets me everywhere I need without a single issue. It is much better than getting an electric golf cart that everyone has.

    Lonnie @ Viva Chevy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lonnie, The small island sounds perfect for the Leaf, a few colleagues at work still have their Leaf's and I've just come back from lunch in one. My wife wasn't a great fan but I'm quite obsesed about electric cars and although I've never been keen on american cars the Tesla is a dream car for me, I've driven one and it's amazing, one day perhaps... For now I'm hoping the Smart will be great fun and just needs to get me 20 miles each way to work for me to get the most out of it, I have other cars for longer trips. I just need some shed time to finish it.

      Delete